200,000 of anything seems like a lot to me. 200,000 wasps in my attic might force me to move, but 200,000 honeybees in a hive might provide a nice bonus income from the honey. 200,000 is an important number to us here at Meals on Wheels this year. Our service numbers are up more than 10% from a year ago, which means that we expect to serve more than 200,000 meals in 2018!
Annual growth of more than 10% for any business is quite extraordinary, and we’re unbelievably proud of the dedicat-ed volunteers, donors, and staff who have supported this growth. They’ve been working long, difficult, stress-filled shifts as they try to cover more ground than ever, particularly in these summer months when volunteers travel to spend time with family.
We’re grateful that we’re able to serve 10% more people who need us, and we’re thrilled and privileged that we have our excellent kitchen facility that can absorb that volume. But with growth of this size comes the need for more fund-ing, more volunteers, and more community support. The list below shows just some of the ways you can help support our agency so we can continue to serve nutritious meals to local seniors:
- Volunteer with Meals on Wheels as a driver, a meal packager, a server, a transporter, or an office helper.
- Support our mission through your contributions toward your meals.
- Help spread the word of our need for volunteers and funding.
- Become a monthly partner to provide ongoing financial support.
- If you’re a client, please cancel meals that you don’t need.
- Please encourage every amazing Meals on Wheels volunteer you meet.
- Ask your place of work or worship to sponsor (financial support) or adopt (deliver) a route.
- Ask if you can post our Volunteer flier (page 2) at a store, coffee shop, hairdresser, or other business.
- Remember us in your estate planning.
- Encourage people you know to become Meals on Wheels volunteers.
As we move forward in 2018, Meals on Wheels will continue to work diligently to find ways to fund and staff our pro-gram because we believe in our mission: To preserve and enhance the quality of life at home, with dignity and care. Working together as a community, we can fulfill this mission.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you wish to become involved in our program as a client, a volunteer, a donor, or in some other capacity. Thank you for your support and Happy August to you all!
Nutrition Services Director