Although summer doesn’t officially end until September 22nd, I always view August as the last real month of summer, as the kids all return to school at the end of August or early September. Summer seems to go so quickly! In addition to staff and volunteers enjoying some well-earned time off for vacations, family reunions, and other fun stuff, we’ve been working hard to improve and expand meal service to our seniors.
• You may have noticed a few new recipes lately, or the return of some items we haven’t served in a long time. We hope you’re enjoying the improved variety, and we always welcome feedback from clients. Our Registered Dietitian and kitchen staff work hand-in-hand to create a nutritious and appetizing variety of foods.
• Our new freezer building is nearly complete. The freezer has arrived and looks amazing. We’re currently waiting on freezer installation and some electrical work. After everything is finished, we’ll begin production of all our own frozen meals to help provide the healthiest options we can.
• We’ve had several groups volunteer with our agency in the past month, including New Vintage Church, Mission Support Alliance, and the interns from CliftonLarsonAllen Accounting. We appreciate the help they provide, as well as the energy they bring to our agency!
• Our Double the Dollars Challenge will run the entire month of August. Gesa Credit Union will match all donations, dollar-for-dollar, up to $10,000. We’re so grateful to Gesa, and we’re hoping for good community support of this fundraiser. All proceeds raised will go directly to purchasing meal for our seniors.
• We’re gearing up for our 2019 Fun Run. We’ve moved our run from it’s former frosty date in March to what we hope will be a much warmer October date. We’ve changed the event to an OktoberFeast Fun Run, which will start and end at our Café/Central Kitchen on the morning of Saturday, October 5th.
Although our summer is clearly crazy-busy and sometimes overwhelming, we try to keep our eyes on our mission of caring for seniors to help them stay independent and healthy.
Nutrition Services Director